Thursday, December 27, 2007

Maddy's First Week Out of the Spica Cast

Well, it has been one week since the spica cast was removed. Maddy is still not using her left leg. She has figured out how to crawl. The way she does it reminds me of a frog because her left leg is bent, and she uses the right to hop/scoot around. Maddy's left leg is also still swollen a little. So I am going to call the doctor tomorrow with my concerns. It is my opinion that she needs physical therapy. The doctor had originally said that they typically do not prescribe PT for children because they play so hard that they get PT through play. Maddy is playing, but absolutely not using that left leg.

Christmas was great this year. Everyone received what they wanted from Santa.

I will update when I have more news. Hopefully, tomorrow.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Your daughter's pictures and story are quite touching. I've heard that hip dysplasia is quite common with club feet, and we were lucky enough to avoid that. It's so difficult for the kids (moms too) to be in those casts. And counting days--I hope it goes by quickly for you!

My daughter was in physical therapy until she started walking at 27 months. I disagree with your doctor. Even if kids do play a lot, PT can help them learn new things that they might not discover on their own. We have a service in our area where the therapist would come to our home every other week or so. I recommend looking into it.

I will keep checking in to see how Maddy's doing. Hang in there. Hopefully she won't remember any of what she's gone through. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

Great to see your Blog. My daughter 19 month old has Dyplasia on the left hip and she is in a Spike cast. It has been 4 weeks since her closed reduction and we have to wait two more weeks to find out how her leg is doing.

Please keep this Blog going.

Thanks
Senthil

Mom said...

Wow. As if the clubfoot casts are not hard enough. With a toddler, the casts are awful - you just know how much she wants to go, go,go!